Smith's Tavern, Armon

Photograph by Gray Williams

Historic Properties Listing

PropertyBedford Road Historic District
MunicipalityNorth Castle
CommunityArmonk
Street Number
Street AddressBedford Road

Historic District NameBedford Road Historic District
Local Landmark Status?Yes  01/05/88
Local Landmark District Status?   
National Register District Status? Yes  11/21/85
County Register Status?   
National Register Status?   
National Historic Landmark Status?   
National Historic Landmark District Status?   
State Register Status? Yes  10/17/85
Eligible for National Register?

Owner
Institutional Ownervarious owners
Tax Map Available?
Tax Map Image Available?
Tax Section       Tax Block       Tax Lot

Architectunknown
Builderunknown
Building TypeSingle Family Dwelling
Building Type, Detailschurch
Architectural StyleGreek Revival
Architectural Style, Details
Current UseSingle Family Dwelling
Current Use, DetailsReligious
Original UseSingle Family Dwelling
Original Use, Detailsreligious(church);commercial(#16)
Structural ConditionGood
NeighborhoodResidential
Threats to Building
Site IntegrityOriginal Site
Date Moved#16 moved 1888
Year Builtc. 1842-1888
Structural System
Structural System, Details
Photograph Available?
AlterationsAlterations to the church and six residences comprising (along with the cemetery) this historic district are minimal. Number 16 Bedford Road was moved from another site in the 1800s and No. 24 has acquired a bay window. Four of the six houses now have synthetic siding. Otherwise, all remain much as they would have appeared in the early nineteenth century
Date of Alterations

SignificanceThe church, cemetary and six privately owned houses along Bedford Road are historically and architecturally important as a surviving contiguous row of buildings representing the early development of what was in the pre 1850 period a small farming community. Moreover, they are all representative of a single style, the Greek Revival, and remain largely unaltered; in short, a time capsule.
DescriptionThe six private residences, church and graveyard within the Bedford Road Historic District represent a period village grouping of a sort now rare in Westchester County. The earliest building, St. Stephens Church, was built in 1842, five of the six residences, c. 1850; and No. 44 (in a compatible style) c. 1880. The Greek Revival architectural style provides a unifying factor as does the contiguous placement of the building along the north side of the east-west road. For a more information as to these properties see the files held by the Westchester County Historic Society,.


PropertyMiller Hill Park
MunicipalityNorth Castle
Community
Street Number
Street AddressMcDougal Drive, White Plains

Historic District Name
Local Landmark Status?Yes  10/31/88
Local Landmark District Status?   
National Register District Status?   
County Register Status?   
National Register Status?   
National Historic Landmark Status?   
National Historic Landmark District Status?   
State Register Status?   
Eligible for National Register?

Owner
Institutional OwnerWestchester County Department of Parks, Recreation, and Conservation
Tax Map Available?
Tax Map Image Available?
Tax Section       Tax Block       Tax Lot

Architect
Builder
Building TypeOther (describe)
Building Type, DetailsPark
Architectural Style
Architectural Style, Details
Current UseOther (describe)
Current Use, DetailsPark
Original UseOther (describe)
Original Use, DetailsPark
Structural ConditionGood
Neighborhood
Threats to Building
Site IntegrityOriginal Site
Date Moved
Year Built
Structural System
Structural System, Details
Photograph Available?Yes
Alterations
Date of Alterations

SignificanceMiller Hill, was the site of a brief artillery duel between British and American troops on November 1, 1776 (the North Castle plaque is incorrect). The British set their field pieces on Travis Hill, behind the rural cemetery on North Broadway, and fired them at Colonel Glover’s position on Miller Hill. Glover had a brass 3, 6, and 24 pounder and three iron 12 pounders that he brought out of hiding and commenced firing. This was the last action of the Battle of White Plains that had begun four days earlier with a pitched battle on Chatterton’s Hill. The site is well kept and, when the undergrowth is cut, provides an excellent overview of White Plains emphasizing the importance of a strategic hill position in 18th century warfare. It is the only battle site in Westchester County still in its natural setting.
DescriptionMiller Hill Park, approximately three acres in size, includes an open field of about 2 _ acres and a narrow strip of grass, with an old stone wall bordering the field, which includes earthworks, a Congressional plaque, a flagpole, and an engraved map of the overview. A standing iron marker, placed at the entrance of the field by the Town of North Castle in 1976, states, "Miller Hill - Shots fired from this hill, November 4, 1776, by Colonel John Glover’s troops ended Battle of White Plains. Turned tide of Revolution." A small marker under a tree identifies the "Liberty Tree" planted to commemorate the Bicentennial 1776-1976. The Congressional plaque states, "October 31; 1776 - Following the engagement on Chatterton Hill Washington's army retired to new lines extending east from this point. These earthworks protected the right wing of Washington's army. Erected by Act of Congress May 18, 1926."


PropertyMiller House ("Washington's Headquarters")
MunicipalityNorth Castle
CommunityNorth White Plains
Street Number
Street AddressVirginia Road

Historic District Name
Local Landmark Status?Yes  01/05/88
Local Landmark District Status?   
National Register District Status?   
County Register Status?   
National Register Status? Yes  09/29/76
National Historic Landmark Status?   
National Historic Landmark District Status?   
State Register Status? Yes  06/26/80
Eligible for National Register?

Owner
Institutional OwnerWestchester County
Tax Map Available?
Tax Map Image Available?
Tax Section       Tax Block       Tax Lot

Architect
BuilderElijah Miller (1770 addition)
Building TypeSingle Family Dwelling
Building Type, Details
Architectural StyleOther (describe)
Architectural Style, DetailsRhode Island-style farmhouse
Current UseSingle Family Dwelling
Current Use, Details
Original UseOther (describe)
Original Use, DetailsMuseum
Structural ConditionExcellent
NeighborhoodResidential
Threats to Building
Site IntegrityOriginal Site
Date Moved
Year Built1738; 1770
Structural SystemWood Frame, Interlocking Joints
Structural System, Details
Photograph Available?Yes
AlterationsThe fllor in the kitchen is not original and the doors on both of north and south elevations are modern replacements in period style. The Daughters of the American Revolution restored the house in 1917.
Date of Alterations

SignificanceThe Elijah Miller Farmhouse in North White Plains is one of only a few surviving eighteenth-century structures in highly developed lower Westchester County. Elijah Miller had fought in the French and Indian War in 1757, where he is said to have become acquainted with Washington. He was adjutant in the Continental Army when he died in the summer of 1776. His widow and children remained in the house, which Washington is said to have used as a headquarters in October 1776 and again in 1778. It has been an historic house museum since 1917, when it was purchased and restored by Westchester County and the Daughters of the American Revolution.
DescriptionBuilt in two sections, the first in 1738 and the second in 1770, the Miller House is situated on a one-acre site near the Bronx River in North White Plains. It is a regionally typical one-and-a-half story, gable ended, framed and clapboarded structure, six bays wide and two bays deep. A porch extends the full width of the south or front elevation and is covered by an extension of the sloping plane of the roof. Six original posts support the overhang. An interior chimney rises through the ridge of the roof at each gable end. The structure was built on a dry masonry stone foundation and did not include a basement. The interior of the house contains nineteenth-century woodwork and windows. The 1770 portion, to the west of the front door contains the council room and a small bedroom in the rear. It retains most of its eighteenth-century interior finish and windows. The half story above, reached by an enclosed central staircase contains one large room and three smaller rooms. The kitchen has a hearth with mantle and also an exterior door. The floor in the kitchen is not original. Near the southeast corner of the house is a large, original root cellar built into the steep hillside rising just to the east of the house.


PropertySmith's Tavern
MunicipalityNorth Castle
CommunityArmonk
Street Number440
Street AddressBedford Road

Historic District NameNA
Local Landmark Status?Yes  01/05/88
Local Landmark District Status?   
National Register District Status?   
County Register Status?   
National Register Status? Yes  09/15/83
National Historic Landmark Status?   
National Historic Landmark District Status?   
State Register Status? Yes  08/17/83
Eligible for National Register?

Owner
Institutional OwnerNorth Castle Historical Society
Tax Map Available?
Tax Map Image Available?
Tax Section       Tax Block       Tax Lot

Architectunknown
Builderunknown
Building TypeSingle Family Dwelling
Building Type, Details
Architectural StyleSalt Box
Architectural Style, Details
Current UseOther (describe)
Current Use, Detailsmuseum
Original UseSingle Family Dwelling
Original Use, Details
Structural ConditionGood
NeighborhoodMixed Use
Threats to Building
Site IntegrityOriginal Site
Date Moved
Year Builtc. 1750-1775
Structural SystemWood Frame, Interlocking Joints
Structural System, Details
Photograph Available?Yes
AlterationsOriginal mid 18th century house consisted of kitchen with large fireplace and bake oven with several small adjoining rooms having wide pine fllor boards and wall paneling. In late 18th century this dwelling was enlarged for use as a tavern, the kitchen becoming the central tap room; and, in 1898 a front porch and central dormer were added while the roof on the east wing was raised and that wing extended to the rear (north), in effect, inclosing the original house within the additions. In the mid 20th century, the Victorian porch and dormer were removed restoring the house to its approximate late 18th century configuration. An original window in the second story of northwest wing elevation has been converted to a door giving access to a metal fire escape, and a garage was created by extending northeast elevation to the northwest. Interior alterations include uncovering origional paneling by removing 19th century wall paper, replacing later windows with age appropriate ones and restoring chimneys.
Date of Alterations c. 1750; c. 1798; c. 1898; c. 1945-1964

SignificanceSmith tavern survives as a link to the early history of Armonk and North Castle as well as an interesting example of adaptation to a variety of uses over some two hundred fifty years. Originally designed as a rural farmhouse, it served as a local militia headquarters, the town clerk's office, store, North Castle's first post office (1809), a stage stop on the Danbury Post Road, a site for town meetings and, of course, a tavern. Moreover, the property was owned and operated for 87 years by the Smith family, establishing a record for longivity seldom equalled in Westchester County
DescriptionSmith Tavern is an 18th century two story wood frame gabled roof building fronting on the Bedford Road (old Danbury Post Road) some 37 miles northeast of Manhattan. It is just east of Exit 3 off I 684 and adjacent to a church and several commercial properties, and is separated from the road by a low stone wall. A parking lot for museum visitors is to the right of building.Original structure (c. 1750-1775) incorporated in present east wing faces southeast and consisted of large "keeping room" or kitchen and small adjoining rooms. A stone milk house of the same period is attached to northeast kitchen wall. By 1779 the building had been enlarged by addition of a southwest section two stories high and five bays wide creating a center chimney structure. In 1898 the north wing was expanded, this two story frame addition swallowing up much of the original structure. Despite these external changes which created three conjoined structures, the tavern largely retains a colonial appearance. The interior has been decorated with furnishings appropriate to the late 18th-early 19th century time span


Select from below to view properties associated with each municipality